Cannon Falls, MN—May 18, 2015—From its beginning over 50 years ago, Gemini has strived to ensure its dimensional letter, logo and plaque products are manufactured in an earth-friendly manner. With sustainable materials, environmentally friendly manufacturing processes and Green Star-rated facilities, Gemini continues to strengthen its green initiatives.
Featuring a broad platform of vertically integrated manufacturing capabilities across seven manufacturing sites in North America, Gemini has direct control over much of its raw material inputs. This provides Gemini Authorized Resellers better quality and more choice in their material selection. From manufacturing many of the raw materials used to make its sign products to investing in recycling processes that minimize waste, Gemini believes in a comprehensive sustainability approach.
“We continue to work to make our manufacturing processes more environmentally friendly because it’s the right thing to do,” said Dave Schmitt, VP of Engineering, Gemini. “With an emphasis on vertical integration in all of our operations, we have greater control over quality, efficiency and, ultimately, sustainability.”
Gemini’s green initiatives include:
- Lead- and mercury-free metals eliminate potential safety risks to consumers
- All-electric, pollution-free furnaces minimize energy and gas exposure
- Recycling materials, including metal and plastic trim from laser and water jet cutting, metal shavings from precision tooling operations, residual metal from metal foundry operations, and paint waste
- Reclaimed solvent wastes for reuse on or off-site, including waste sand from Gemini’s metal foundries to garnet from its water jet cutting processes
- Filtered finishing and coating processes capture 95-99.99 percent of particulates and minimize volatile organic compounds (VOCs)
- Closed-loop water system removes large wastewater generating processes
- Green Star-certified facilities have been recognized for compliance in recycling efforts
- Non-petroleum-based, completely recyclable formed plastic letter and logo products are made of cotton and wood fibers
- Energy-monitored and analyzed operations enable understanding of consumption and reduce Gemini’s carbon footprint
- 100% post-industrial and post consumer ingot is remelted to architectural specifications to make all bronze and aluminum cast plaques, letters and logos
“Every waste stream is an opportunity for recovery in value. Sometimes, economically it does not make sense, but we weigh the pros and cons with a heavy weight on the environment,” said Schmitt. “This has been our standard way of doing business for the 25 years I have been with Gemini, and it was the standard for the previous 25 years.”
For more information on Gemini’s sustainability efforts, and to download Gemini LEED certificates, visit GeminiSignProducts.com.
Gemini, a family owned company, is an industry leader with over 50 years of sign product manufacturing experience, including dimensional letters, logos, plaques, and industrial plastic sheet stock. With seven manufacturing sites across the USA, Canada and Mexico, Gemini’s core products are sold exclusively through authorized resellers serving the signage and award and recognition industries, and are backed by a lifetime guarantee. For more information, visit GeminiSignProducts.com.